Posts made in May 2020

passport and visa

E-1, E-2, and E-3 Investor Visas: What’s the Difference?

The United States is a major center of international commerce, and thus people from around the world travel to the country to work and conduct business. Many of these people enter the country using an E-1, E-2, and E-3 visa. But what are these visas, and how do you know which you should apply for? Here’s what you should know before traveling with trader and investor visas in Houston, TX, or anywhere else in America.

E-1: Nationals from a treaty country may be admitted to the United States on an E-1 visa solely to engage in trade on their own behalf. “Trade” may apply to the trade of goods, services, and banking. To qualify, the trade must be substantial, although quantity of transactions is emphasized over total value.

E-2: Nationals from a treaty country may be admitted to the United States on an E-2 visa when investing a substantial amount of capital in an American business. For example, an individual may travel with this investor visa to set up a business. An E-2 visa may be extended indefinitely, so long as their business in the country remains viable.

E-3: These visas apply only to Australian nationals coming to the United States to work in a specialty occupation. They must have a legitimate offer of employment before applying, as well as the necessary qualifying credentials in their field.

foreign exchange students

FAQs about Student Visas

Every year, countless students arrive from around the world to study in Texas and other parts of the United States. Are you or your loved one next? Start learning what you need to know about student visas by reviewing the following FAQs. For further details, contact our Spanish-speaking attorney in Houston.

Who is eligible for an F-1 visa?

F-1 visas are issued to international students attending an academic program in the United States. To qualify, you must have the following:

  • A Sponsoring School
  • A Foreign Residence and the Intent to Return Upon Finishing Your Studies
  • Strong Ties to Your Home Country
  • Sufficient Financial Support

What types of education does an F-1 visa cover?

The F-1 visa is most often used to attend an accredited college or university. However, they may also cover seminaries, conservatories, high schools, elementary schools, and other academic institutions. The course of study must culminate in a degree, diploma, or certificate, and the school must be authorized to accept international students. Talk to a Spanish-speaking attorney if you have questions about whether your intended program qualifies.

How do you start the application process?

Before you start applying for an F-1 visa, you must first be accepted into an accredited academic program. After you’ve secured admission (and the school’s sponsorship), consult with your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate to determine in what order you should complete the student visa application process.