Different Types of Family Visas

150 150 Wasim

If you are a U.S citizen, it is possible to sponsor your family members to come live and work here in the United States. Equally if your relative is a U.S citizen and would love to live and work in the U.S, the government makes special provisions through the numerous family visas to make your dream possible.

There are several different types of family visas in the U.S. Here is a quick look at the most common types of family visas in the United States and the eligibility requirements of each;

Types of Family Visas in the U.S.

Because of the numerous number of relatives that each individual could be potentially related to, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services only considers immediate family members and other special cases for the said family visas.

1. Immediate Relative Visas

This is an immigrant visa which is made available to the immediate family members of a U.S citizen who are looking to become permanent residents of the U.S. One is considered to be an immediate relative of a U.S citizen if he/she;

Is a spouse of a U.S citizen

Is an unmarried child under 21 years of age of a U.S. citizen

Is a parent of a U.S. citizen and the citizen is 21 years old or more.

It is however important to note that immediate family members who are married or are more than 21 years old can also qualify for a green card but it takes longer and the chances of getting the green card are minimal.

2. K-3/K-4 Nonimmigrant Visas

If a foreigner is married to a U.S citizen and wishes to work and live in the United States together with the spouse and your children, then you can obtain the K-3 or K-4 nonimmigrant visa. To obtain this visa, one must prove that they are married to the U.S citizen in good faith and not solely for immigration benefits. The U.S citizen will then have to file a form I-130 on the behalf of the noncitizen spouse.

3. Fiancé Visa

This is a special form of visa which allows prospective spouses to bring their fiancés into the United States without necessarily being married. The spouses however have to prove that they plan to marry the United States citizen upon arrival in the United States.

4. Widow(er) of U.S citizen

Widows and widowers who were married to U.S. citizens at the time of the U.S citizen’s death are eligible to apply for a green card to go live and work in the United States. Initially, the USCIS required that the widow or widower to have been married to the deceased for at least two years at the time of the deceased citizen’s death for them to apply for a green card. This rule was however scraped off in 2009 and so long as one was legally married to a U.S citizen, he/she could apply for the green card and move into the United States.

5. Widow(er) of a U.S Military Member

If you are a surviving spouse of a deceased U.S military member who was killed in combat while the two of you were married, then you can apply for permanent residency through a special visa made available to widow(ers) of U.S military members. Such individuals can self-petition for the IR visa using form I-360. These individuals can only be eligible for the visa if they didn’t divorce and remarried.

6. Family of refugee visa

This is a special form of family visa which allows immediate family members of people who were admitted into the United States as refugees to join them in living and working in the United States. Just like all the other visas, there are limitations on the qualifications for individuals looking to apply for this form of visa.

Although on paper it sounds very easy to get into the United States through the various visas which we have highlighted above, it is anything but! Because of the numerous number of people who are eligible to get into the United States through the family visas, the application process is made more rigorous to filter out as many people as possible and only grant the most qualified applicants the visas to live and work in the United States.

When making such applications therefore, it is very important to always hire a qualified and experienced immigration attorney to help you along the way. Navigating the murky immigration waters takes nothing short of dexterity and experience in immigration law and to increase your chances of successfully filing a petition, you need the best immigration attorneys by your side and we have them here at Toppins Law Firm.

Give us a call or drop us an email for the best immigration law services at very affordable rates. Choose Toppins Law Firm for the best immigration services in the U.S.A.